Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Military Spouses Employment Act

Below is the letter I sent my Representative in support of HR 687, the Military Spouses Employment Act.

If you send a letter, or make a call, please make sure to direct it to the Defense or Finance LA, otherwise an intern will read and log it.



Mr. Schweer,

I work for a small business, a business that has only 27 employees and has managed to avoid layoffs despite a depression in our industry. I am also the wife of a deployed active duty Senior Airman. My employer has been very understanding and supportive of the demands of a military lifestyle. They even allowed me to extend my maternity leave to make the most of my husband’s time home and are developing a work plan so I can be retained after our next PCS.

Besides the benefits to the company and myself, the state of Nebraska is benefiting. We are in a higher tax bracket, I was able to buy a more efficient car, my daughter can attend a local daycare, and we’ve starting saving for her college education while making payments on our own.

But not all military spouses are given these benefits. In fact, many businesses are hesitant to even hire military spouses, which is why we see unemployment rates as high as 25% among military spouses at some bases.

We are asking you to support H.R. 687, the Military Spouses Employment Act, to encourage other business, especially small ones, to hire and retain military spouses. The potential economic benefit to military families and to local business is huge, especially in Nebraska.

Thank you,

No comments:

Post a Comment